Sep

What Size Are You?

As a child, I lived in a world of dieters. The women in my life were constantly trying new “fad” diets to lose another five more pounds.

They ate and complained. Said they took a bite and gained. It was an endless cycle of love and hate, with themselves and the bodies around them. Curves were shunned. They no longer believed the bodies given to them were worthy. In the US, thin was in. It was the year of the super models… of Twiggy like proportions.

Growing up, I recall telling my mother I wanted to be a model myself. I looked at the magazines and wanted to be them. They looked beautiful. They looked smart. They looked…happy, with themselves.

The look she gave me that day shattered my dream. I was what I call a curvy girl. Always have been. My lower body has always been stockier than most of those around me. And people noticed.

It took many, many years for me to become comfortable with myself, with my body. I didn’t always think my curves were Latinalicious. At that time, I just wanted to fit in, to become what others defined as “beautiful”.

I now see my body for what it is, regardless of what others may say. It sustains me. It has been pushed to extremes and survived. It is Latinalicious, not just because of its curves, but also for what it can do.

I stopped the cycle of fad diets passed down to me. There are no extremes. I do not want to pass it on to my sons. I now exercise because of the health benefits, not as a chore, or a means to an end, but as a way to strengthen myself, mentally as well as physically.

I will never be a “Twiggy”. I have curves and I celebrate them!

What size am I?

I am finally a size “Happy”.

What about you?

Macys Style and Co Photo Shoot with Glamour

Above I fulfilled a childhood dream. I wasn’t chained by what others said I could do.

I was a “model” for Macy’s Style and Co. Jeans. I loved them! Why? Because I didn’t have to alter my body to fit into them. I didn’t have to lose just 5 more pounds to put them on. They celebrated my Latinalicious curves! They fit me because they were made for “real” women, like you and I, not models. They even have tummy control, for those days when you eat just to many empanadas/beef patties, like I had done the day before! :)

To read more about the jeans and see the Glamour and Macy’s Style & co video click here. You’ll have a chance to see my derriere in ways you never dreamed of: Close up :)

1 Lisa September 1, 2011 at 10:41 am

Wow Mig! You look great! Love those jeans too! How much? Would love to buy a pair.

2 Ms. Latina September 1, 2011 at 10:53 am

Lisa Thank you Lisa! They’re $44-49 but some are on sale for $38, plus you know Macy’s always has those coupons so you can get them at an additional 15-20% off! Woot!

3 Morena September 1, 2011 at 10:58 am

Hi Ms. Latina, you look gorgeous in that pic! Who wants to look like the adds say we should? Seriously, its all about being unique. We all are beautiful in our own particular way. Our bodies are magical, and we need to cherish and celebrate them just the way they are. Thank you so much for this post!

4 Christy Orellana September 1, 2011 at 11:42 am

You look great! Great way to show women like you and me that is ok to be curvy and “happy.”

Right now I don’t need tummy control since my tummy will soon begin to grow out of control into my maternity jeans! :) but I might need a pair after giving birth.

5 Bicultural Mama September 1, 2011 at 1:31 pm

So cool you were in the print ad and that your size is “Happy”. Gotta love what God gave us and not everyone is born like Twiggy!

6 Patty @A Day in My NYC September 1, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Congratulations on this campaign participation! Style and Co. Jeans are my favorite. I just got some this past Spring and I LOVE them!

You are also size “beautiful”! Felicidades! xo

7 Nikki September 1, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Beautiful!!!! I love the Ad! You better work girl ;-)

8 Patricia September 1, 2011 at 5:16 pm

You look great. I honestly hate looking at fashion magazines, because really…who likes like twiggy thin models? Not me. My family is into the fad diets as well, I just roll my eyes. I am no skinny thing my no means. A mi me gustan los tacos, tortas, pasteles, ect. It is important to exercise for health reasons and that is why I do it. As much as I would like to be a size 2 it is not going to happen. I am just happy being me.

9 Alba Garza September 1, 2011 at 5:29 pm

You are so beautiful! You look awesome! I have always been yo-yo dieting, even before I got pregnant. Ane now…I am the size- PREGNANT, and am happy.

10 Lilian Hurn-Súper Baratísimo o Gratis. September 1, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Excelent video, you are the best i like when you said “Latinalicious”.

11 Kennito September 1, 2011 at 6:57 pm

You’re going places just by being you! And we all love you for it! Stay on your ‘mission’!

12 Nikki @ Mommy Factor September 1, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Oh look at you. That’s right show off the apple bottom. Proud of you :)

13 OfeliaNJ September 1, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Hey Migdalia – I couldn’t help sympathizing as I read this post, and remembering your smile as you walked down stairs and said “fit and curvy”. Keep up the good work, you’re setting an example for the whole bunch of us. Even more important, showing your sons that a happy mom is a beautiful thing!

14 Marcela September 1, 2011 at 9:11 pm

You look great!! So awesome you got to do this, perfect person to represent us curvy Latinas!!

15 Bren @ Flanboyant Eats September 1, 2011 at 9:12 pm

I am size “getting there, working on it!” ;) Happy for you that you found happy… no more fad diets. Def not the way to go.

16 Laurita Tellado September 1, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I confess I’m a chronic anti-shopper, but I’ve always liked Macy’s a lot. You look gorgeous! Rock on, Migdalia. You inspire me. ;)

17 Isolated Existence September 1, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Hot Mami, look at you! You look great! Love the style and the colors of the jeans!

18 Presley's Pantry September 2, 2011 at 3:33 am

Congrats to you and your ad! You look great. I am in a place where I am learning to appreciate exercise for health reasons as well.

19 Leslie @ La Cocina de Leslie September 2, 2011 at 10:17 am

Look at you!!! Congratulations on fulfilling your dream!!! You look gorgeous!

And I completely identify with being size “Happy”. I’ve always struggled with my weight and tried every fad diet during my teens and early twenties. Now in my mid-to-late thirties, I’m a lot bigger, but for the first time in my life, I am comfortable in my own skin.

20 Lisa Quinones-Fontanez September 2, 2011 at 12:40 pm

You look amazing! And I love your size “happy” :)

21 Carrie at TikiTikiBlog! September 2, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Ay, that made me cry.

I am so sorry our generation grew up with all those dietas and the talk talk about being flaca…or gorda.

We may not be doing totally right right now, but at least the women around me don’t complain and talk diets around our children. I talk to my daughter about exercise for staying strong. I say healthy, too, but I celebrate “Strong!”

You are beautiful.

22 karen morse September 2, 2011 at 2:08 pm

You rock, fellow Glammie! :)

23 kcrojas September 4, 2011 at 8:52 am

Beautifully said, Latinalicious one! Mig – you are a model in so many ways already and now this! :)

As one of your “fit and curvy” sisters, I appreciate the message (esp. during this time of year – shorts, swimsuits, etc.). Life is about celebrating each day with moderation and mindfulness – lessons I am learning every day. :)

And might I add, “You look mah-velous”…

24 Mariana September 4, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Gorgeous, Mig! Definitely ‘Latinalicious’! Love how you say that you’re a size “happy”… now if I could only find that in a store! ;)

25 JoAnna Kelley September 5, 2011 at 8:40 am

I love your spirit there needs to be more women out there like you! I have been struggling with my weight for years and was finally “happy” right before I got pregnant but I am determined to be size “happy as soon as I have my little bundle of joy next year!

26 Sabrina September 6, 2011 at 12:59 pm

You look beautiful as usual – will definitely check out those jeans!

27 Daleene Fox October 8, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I agree with JoAnna, although I am constantly struggling with my weight. While on WW for about 9 months I lost 32 lbs. I have been off for about 8 months and have gained 12 lbs. back :-( Sad, but true that woman cannot help but to worry about their weight. I so want to be “Happy” with my weight.
Daleene Fox recently posted..SwagShare Comment Contest