Recently my boys and I gave up cable as part of a summer challenge I imposed on us (Crazy, I know!). The boys are settling in quite nicely now, but I have to admit I do not want to re-live those first few days without cable again.
We had grumbling, mumbling and lots of crying. The last one was actually from me! I was so missing those quiet moments I had when the boys had cable. It was an adjustment for all of us. But I am happy to say we are much better now.
I’m sure it’s because I cheated a little bit. I actually put it back on so my tween could watch Disney’s Let It Shine. Yes, I know…I’m a wimp but we’re back to no cable again.
We’re doing much better the second time around.
Want to know our secret?
I’ve discovered ways to watch television shows without paying for cable! Using our iPad, I’m able to connect it to my television and watch shows via:
1. Aereo – a service that lets you watch (and record) live TV throughout the city. You can sign up for a 90-day FREE trial, and get access to over 20 broadcast channels, 40 hours of remote DVR storage and usage on up to five devices. After the promo, the fee is $12 per month, which is way cheaper than basic cable.
2. Disney App - You can see FULL episodes from Disney Channel favorites including “Good Luck Charlie,” “Shake It Up” and “Phineas and Ferb,” Disney XD’s “TRON: Uprising,” and Disney Junior’s “Mickey Mouse Clubhouse” and “Jake and the Never Land Pirates”. The new WATCH Disney Channel, WATCH Disney XD and WATCH Disney Junior apps are available for FREE from the App Store on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch or at www.itunes.com/appstore/.
You can also see the above Disney shows online at
3. ABC Family App- You can see FULL episodes of Pretty Little Liars, Secret Life of the American Teenager, Melissa & Joes, Jane by Design, Bunheads and more. The ABC Family app is available for FREE from the App Store on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch or at www.itunes.com/appstore/.
You can also see ABC Family shows online at http://beta.abcfamily.go.com
4. Google your fave shows and watch online! I’ve discovered that you can watch almost anything online. In fact, my teen recently discovered our fave show online: Avatar: The Legend of Korra Episodes. You have to view ads but we don’t mind. If the ads bother you, you can purchase the episodes on iTunes; however, I think FREE is better. To watch Avatar: The Legend of Korra Episodes 1-12 click HERE.
5. iTunes- You can download a variety of free episodes from the App Store on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch or at www.itunes.com/appstore . The line-up changes frequently so when you see a show you like, download it quickly.
Do you know of any other ways to watch television shows without paying for cable? If so, share your money-saving tips in a comment!