Nov

My Eat, Pray, Love Moment At #Latism11

Eat Pray Love... LATISM
Last week I had the opportunity to attend the LATISM 11 conference in Chicago. It was my first time visiting Chicago. Even more exciting, I was going sans kids.

The morning started bright and early. My flight was scheduled to leave at 6am. I was ready. Having learned my lesson after missing my flight to Disney, where I was supposed to receive Disney Media’s Royalty Treatment as a Magical Mom, I left at 3:30 in the morning. I made it with time to spare.

I checked my bag, paid the painful luggage fee, and walked at a leisurely pace to my gate when I realized…I was alone.

I. WAS. ALONE.

At that moment, I had the heady realization that I could choose what I wanted to do. It was an amazing feeling!

In my mind, I imagined myself as Elizabeth Gilbert of Eat Pray Love, the movie, not the book. I imagined discovering new meaning to the world, my world, one full of Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Google+.

It was a heady feeling.

When I began my journey in Social Media, I never realized that it would morph into my dream career. Like Elizabeth, I traveled unknown territories, tasting the fruits of new platforms. I discovered the power of people when they are not boxed in. And finally, I found a balance, or as much of a balance as is possible, while being a single Mom heading her own company.

Arriving in Chicago, confirmed all that I had imagined and more. I found other Latinos in technology and social media who were as passionate as I was about this journey. This was not a trend. It was not a passing fancy that would die down as time continued. We were here to stay.

We had a voice.

We had skills.

We. Had. Knowledge.

And we shared.

I. SHARED.

I shared the countless joys, and pitfalls, of the blogging world. I shared the journey that brought me to my dream career. I shared … honestly and brutally.

In doing so, I discovered women, like Myrah, Viviana, Rebecca, Ruby, Jenda and countless others, who appeared to be having their own Eat, Pray, Love moment of self discovery. We were coming into our own, and together, as a community, we were going to pass it on.

Let’s talk! Have you recently had a moment of self-discovery? Share it in the comments!

1 Maura at The Other Side of The Tortilla November 15, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Migdalia, it was such a pleasure to finally meet you in person at LATISM and to speak with you on a panel about niche blogging! It’s a great feeling to find others like yourself who are as passionate about what they’re doing and can talk about a real, clear path to how they got there rather than the usual conference rhetoric that used to be so common of “these opportunities just fell into my lap because I was at the right place at the right time.” We know enough to know better, and that to do what we do takes so much time and effort, but it is worth every bit in the end. It’s important to share that with others the way we did at the conference. Wishing you continued success and sending an abrazo from Chicago!
    Maura at The Other Side of The Tortilla recently posted..The Tortilla named Best Latin Food Blog by LATISM

2 Ms. Latina November 15, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Maura at The Other Side of The Tortilla: It was a pleasure meeting you at Latism as well! I was excited to see so many Latina Bloggers and delighted that the panel inspired them. My hope is that we will continue to grow in our knowledge so that we can look back and extend a helping hand to those we are just beginning. Juntas podemos mover montañas!
    Ms. Latina recently posted..FREE Virtual Cooking Class With Celebrity Chef George Duran #ConAgraFoods

3 Mercedes @BeChicMag November 15, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Migdalia, your insights on the Niche Blogging panel were awesome. I love how honest you are. We definitely do discover a lot about ourselves as entrepreneurs and women on this social media journey.

4 Maybelline @ Naturalmente Mamá November 15, 2011 at 1:13 pm

You are such an inspiration and I know I’ve told you this before but I just wanted to say it again: YOU ARE AWESOME! not only as a blogger but as a mom as well. Keep making us proud!
    Maybelline @ Naturalmente Mamá recently posted..El Hada de los Sorteos Nro. 3 – Nov. 15, 2011

5 Unknown Mami November 15, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I have a big smile on my face after reading this post. It’s beautiful what you have created and accomplished.
    Unknown Mami recently posted..Simply Delicious

6 Carolyn G November 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Love it! Now I would love my eat, pray love moment if it involved Javier Bardem like in the movie!

xoxo

7 Jaime November 15, 2011 at 2:28 pm

So proud of you and all you’ve accomplished!!!! You are an inspiration.

8 Carrie at TikiTikiBlog! November 15, 2011 at 3:42 pm

…and it ain’t over, yet!

Power to you and all the Hermanas.
    Carrie at TikiTikiBlog! recently posted..Missing My Primos During Thanksgiving

9 Ericka Sanchez (@NibblesNFeasts) November 15, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Migdalia, this is so inspiring and so true! I too have met, shared and most importantly, found a passion of what I love to do. Thank you for putting this into words. Big hugs from the West coast. :)

10 Li November 15, 2011 at 6:22 pm

That’s wonderful! I’m so glad you had your aha moment!!

Best,
    Li

11 Presley's Pantry November 15, 2011 at 9:27 pm

What a wonderful feeling. I relish those moments when they come to me. I always invite excitement into my life. I’m glad you got to take on the conference from a new perspective.

12 Jenny @simmerandsteam November 15, 2011 at 9:48 pm

thank you for being an inspiration. I am just starting out in blogging–haven’t even hit my year mark yet–and some days it feels like a struggle to figure out what im doing with my life and with this “hobby”. thank you for showing what happens when perseverance and dedication some together

13 Rachel November 15, 2011 at 11:06 pm

Migdalia, you are an inspiration to many of us. Everytime I speak of my “initiation” to public blogging, it begins with you. You opened up my mind and diminished some of my fears as a begginner blogger and for that I am grateful. I wish I could have attended Latism. I hope that my first conference will be as special as this one was to you. XOXO – Rachel
    Rachel recently posted..CELEBRATE THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF WEST SIDE STORY

14 Bicultural Mama November 15, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I loved that book and enjoyed your posting about how you felt a sense of freedom being alone. I can totally understand!
    Bicultural Mama recently posted..Spotlight on Bicultural Mama

15 Myrah - Coupon Mamacita November 15, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Migdalia, it was a true pleasure meeting you at #Latism11. Chatting while we had lunch about our passion, was fun and memorable! I can truly say I had my Eat, Pray, and Love moment of self discovery at #LATISM11. Thank you!

16 Sylvia Lima November 15, 2011 at 11:42 pm

Migdalia,
    You have such an eloquent writing style that flows so easily. The ability to effectively communicate your thoughts and experiences is certainly a gift you’ve been blessed with.

I agree, there were many Eat, Pray and Love moments not only on a personal level but being in the company of so many passionate and accomplished Latinos ignited a beautiful pride in my culture. And I’m so ever thankful for that opportunity.

You are an amazing woman and a true inspiration to all of us.

Please do not ever hesitate to reach out if I can be of any help to you or even just to say hello =)

Tu amiga in Chicago,
    Sylvia

17 AnaRC November 15, 2011 at 11:49 pm

My dear! thank you so much for sharing your experience. So right! We’re here to stay and the only way we can empower each other is by sharing. Thank you for setting the example.
    AnaRC recently posted..Reflections from LATISM’11

18 Eva Smith of Tech.Food.Life. November 16, 2011 at 5:27 am

It’s so exciting to see everyone’s LATISM stories. As a professional Engineer of 15 years I had an EAT PRAY LOVE moment about 15 years ago and I am a much better person today because of it.

19 Tony Scott November 16, 2011 at 2:55 pm

That’s great! Really, having kids makes us parents think more for them instead of for ourselves. A little moment without the kids (I hate to say distraction) around can really help you think of and accomplish great things.

20 AutismWonderland November 16, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Anxiously awaiting my Eat. Pray. Love. Moment. But I know that moment is coming :)

Wish I could have heard your words at Latism and been inspired but I know that day is coming too.

So happy you had your moment, bask in it!

21 JendaLynne Photography November 18, 2011 at 12:14 am

I am glad I discovered you charging your phone by yourself:) Thnx to Ruby I made another amazing friend!!
    JendaLynne Photography recently posted..Thanksgiving Holiday.Where will you be?

22 Patty @ A Day in My NYC November 18, 2011 at 9:57 am

Congratulations, from all the comments it sounds like you did a fantastic job! :) Wish I could have been there.
    Patty @ A Day in My NYC recently posted..A Message from the Universe Through a Friend

23 Viviana Hurtado/The Wise Latina Club November 19, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Migdalia, I am humbled by your sisterhood, and solidarity! My life changed course, and I started blogging precisely because, as you state, I HAVE a voice, I HAVE skills, I HAVE knowledge which I wanted to share but was silenced for so long. I found it in blogging where I have also discovered inspiration and community with incredible people, particularly Latina women. As a “baby blogger” I am absorbing everything around me, growing, giving back, and most important, eternally grateful for the gift of friendship. Thank you!

24 Peruvian food November 21, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I feel more like my whole life has been a life of self discovery. I think I live in an eat pray love state of mind! Im glad you had that moment. This blogging world really is amazing and so motivating! Great things are, and will keep cocming out of it. Thats why I love it.