Sep

A Unicycle or a Bicycle? #Inspiration

As a single Mom of two boys, I find it easier to relay messages to my sons, or anyone else, when giving examples. Recently, while speaking to my teen, I brought up the subject of unicycles and bicycles.

The unicycle and bicycle are pedal-driven vehicles powered by human effort.

A unicycle has one wheel. It has no handlebar. It has no brakes. It can hold no packages, unless they are on the rider’s person. A unicycle has the basics. No more. No less.  Its rider must learn to pedal, while steering and maintaining their balance, unaided.

A bicycle has at two wheels. It has handlebars that the rider can use to steer, balance or rest. It has brakes. It can be outfitted with a basket to carry packages or people.  It can pull other items. It is expandable. Growing as the rider’s needs grow.

The unicycle and the bicycle can only remain upright when in motion. Every turn of the body, bump on the road, or red light up ahead, can alter that.  Others in the road can also cause them to tumble. Shifting packages or unexpected potholes in the road can do the same. Problems can also occur when a rider is coasting, going to fast or not focused on their destination.

In the end, both can get you to your destination; however, you can only choose to ride one at a time…

Which one would you choose?

1 CatSynth September 7, 2011 at 11:43 am

I think I would choose the bicycle. They both require lots of effort, but the bicycle still affords the chance to concentrate on something other than not falling down, like enjoying the ride.

2 JOANNA KELLEY September 7, 2011 at 1:37 pm

I would choose the bicycle it has better chances of not falling.

3 Christy Orellana September 7, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I would definetely choose the bicycle I could be clumsy at times and I know I would fall out of a unicycle!

4 Alba Garza September 7, 2011 at 2:26 pm

So not answering the question, just saying, I would like to one day try the Unicycle, just cause. But the answer the question, I would pick the bicycle becuase everyone needs a little assistance. You start with training wheels to guide you and give you confidence. Once you master that you can venture on 2 wheels. Getting to those 2 wheels is hard for some of us. But once you get there, that bicycle and you can go anywhere.

5 Alba Garza September 7, 2011 at 2:26 pm

6 Patricia September 8, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Of cousrse, the bicyle. It is easier. You know what a challange makes a person stronger so why not venture and try to master the unicyle. I think that is what I would try.

7 yesi October 19, 2011 at 1:24 am

I like the way they invent new ways to handle bike. thanks