Jul

How Do You Define Yourself?

How do you define yourself?

Are you a Mom Blogger, Latina Blogger, Christian Blogger, African American Blogger, Green Blogger, Tech Blogger, etc?

When I started my blog, I did not want to be labeled. I had too many labels already. I was a mother, sister, aunt, student, employee, foodie, gardener, crafter, painter and so much more. Yet each label felt restricting. It only allowed me to fit into a specific box.  As a blogger, I didn’t want to fit into a box. I wanted to be free. I wanted to be me.

But who was I?

At the time, I did not know and because I did not know the label was given to me: Ms. Latina.

It was bestowed on me by a fellow blogger.

Ms. Latina,  a derivative of my blog name, “Latina On a Mission”.

It stuck, for better or worse.

I am now and forevermore known as Ms. Latina.

Yet I did not complain. The label fit me.  It is who I was and who I am.

I’m not tied as a Mrs. or young like a Miss. I am a Ms., with many faces.

I am a bold,  sassy, Latina.

Ageless.

What I define as Latinalicious™.

And you…

How do you define yourself?

1 Carrie at TikiTikiBlog! July 7, 2011 at 10:31 am

Love all those photos together, Migdalia.

And, good question…

How do I define myself? No se. I am many different things and different things to different people.

I keep thinking of the tag line on my personal blog: “Mami tries.”

I am just someone who tries…I guess.

xo
Carrie at TikiTikiBlog! recently posted..Let Go, Get More. (Giveaway and Video)

2 Ms. Latina July 7, 2011 at 11:24 am

Carrie I love that “Mami Tries”, I need to add that as one of my descriptions too.
Ms. Latina recently posted..How Do You Define Yourself?

3 Jaime July 7, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Loved all your pictures!!!!!!!! So very sweet.
Jaime recently posted..Continued reflections on spiritual gardening

4 Ms. Latina July 7, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Jaime Thank you! My boys thought I was crazy when I was shooting the pics but I had a blast doing it. It def. reminded me that my faces, just like the labels bestowed upon me, are as varied as can be. Yet they’re still me, each and every single one.
Ms. Latina recently posted..How Do You Define Yourself?

5 Joscelyn @ MamiofMultiples.com July 7, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Great pictures! A name can define you from the inside and outside. Its wonderful that you know who you are so that no one can ever tell you something different about yourself. Great post amiga!

6 Ms. Latina July 7, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Joscelyn @ MamiofMultiples.com It took me a while to figure out who I was as a blogger. However, the one thing that didn’t change that was my unwillingness to pegged. I don’t want to stay stagnant. I want to try new things. I want to step out on a limb. I want to evolve, yet always stay ageless. Having the wisdom of one who has lived, the maturity of one who has floundered, the energy of a teen and the ability to laugh wholeheartedly like a child, now that is ME.

7 jai July 7, 2011 at 6:41 pm

You are so right it is ageless!! I try not to label myself either. But sometimes labels are good. There’s no confusion. I happen to be a beauty blogger that is also Latina. and a mom. So does that make me a Latina Mom Beauty Blogger? Don’t mind any of the labels because we are so multifaceted, we are everything and anything!
jai recently posted..Sunday Link: I love DIY!

8 Tracy @ Ascending Butterfly July 7, 2011 at 6:52 pm

My readers defined my blog in a way I really like, ‘Drama Free’. I had people tell me they like the fact that there is no gossip, inuendo, drama or rants. My blog has a very simple mission statement: To Inspire And Be Inspired, and if I had to ever give myself a ‘label’, one thing out of the many parts of who I am, inspired would be it! ;)
Tracy @ Ascending Butterfly recently posted..Healthify Your Summer with Fage!

9 Ezzy Guerrero-Languzzi July 7, 2011 at 8:35 pm

OMG. I’ve avoided labels my entire life until recently. Funny thing is I didn’t come out of my blogging “shell” until I started practicing my imperfect, needs-serious-improvement-Spanish online. It’s the most imperfect part of me, and in some mysterious way, revealing it is what’s unleashed “me.” Beautiful post! <3 Nice to meet you, too. ; D

10 The Bargain Shopper Lady July 7, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I had fun reading this whole post with your voice! So you! I loved it! Can’t wait to see you at BlogHer! I like to think of myself as a bride! A bargain shopping bride!
The Bargain Shopper Lady recently posted..Restaurant.com is 70% off!

11 Denise July 7, 2011 at 9:00 pm

I am just myself….

12 Bicultural Mama July 7, 2011 at 10:01 pm

Love your name Ms. Latina and your photos!

13 won July 8, 2011 at 12:29 am

I also love the photos and many faces.

I define myself as a mother. A bereaved woman who has half her heart in heaven with her daughter, and the other half firmly on this earth with her son. A woman who changed the trajectory of her own life and future generations by refusing to repeat the patterns of abuse shown in my upbringing.

A woman who now knows what love is…and is so sad to only be able to love with half my heart.

14 Sujeiry, 1st Lady of Love July 8, 2011 at 2:00 am

I define myself as Sujeiry, 1st Lady of Love. I am not just a writer but a multimedia entertainer. This is how I explain all that I do, which includes managing my website, singing, creating and editing comedic web series, conducting webinar, and, of course, dishing on love and relationships. As for the word blogger, I used to loathe it. Anyone can start a blog, I thought. Not everyone is selected to publish a book or an article in a print publication. Now, with the way the world online, I embrace the world blogger and adding it to my identity.
Sujeiry, 1st Lady of Love recently posted..I Need A Man

15 Eva Smith July 8, 2011 at 3:21 am

Love the photos on your post. When I think about defining myself I think about the legacy I’m leaving behind for other women to follow. I’m strong, independent, loveable, silly, giving, caring… woman.
Eva Smith recently posted..MasterChef Special Edition Bookazine

16 Mommy Kennedy July 8, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Love ya, Ms. Latina!

Love the photos!

17 Cid July 8, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I’m with you as not wanting to label my self as one thing or another. Society already has too many labels for people and women in general. In the blogging world I like to just say I am a blogger, who happens to be a Latina and likes to blog about fashion. When I first started blogging I did identify with being a “fashion blogger”. I soon found out the limits and pressures of that title. Now I just say I am a blogger and if people want to label me one thing or another that’s their choice, but I view my self as women with many facets who can do and “blog” about many things. Great post!

18 Party Artist July 8, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I struggled with that for a while too. I started to write as a way to make me do the things that I Love to do and never found the time to do until now. It sounds confusing I know. But I am a frustrated many things…. because I always traded doing what I wanted for what I was supposed to. So always wanted to be an artist, but ended up and engineer… wanted to be a stay at home mom (still do) and ended up working full time with a stay at home husband…. and so on. You get the deal. So now blogging makes it official and gives me an excuse to be that Party Artist that I always wanted to be and I guess am.