Jun

A Woman’s View of The Dodge Avenger

I brought my 1st car in 2003.  A few months later, I crashed in a very weird chicken accident that caused a four car pile up. Thankfully, we survived.

It’s never let me down. It may not be the sexiest car, but I don’t think I could have handled sexy at that point.

Times have changed.

Now I can handle the big “S”.

Which brings me to Chrysler’s Avenger.  I had the opportunity to test drive the Avenger, on a 25+ mile stretch from Tarry Town to Midtown, Manhattan.  I have to admit, I was sold before the drive.  I liked the designs’ angles and curves.  I also liked that it was a roomy, compact car.  The size made it perfect for parking in the streets of New York, where parking is always a challenge. Yet it was roomy enough to fit both my sons, as well as two of their friends, comfortably. Or, if you are a family with multiple small children, you can easily fit two car seats and one additional person in the back.

I drove the car during a bad thunderstorm in New York City, which limited how fast I could go. However, based on my discussions with the designer, I am sure it would handle speed well. What the storm did let me test out were the car’s capabilities during bad weather. I felt safe inside, the tires didn’t hydroplane, and the ride was smooth. I would also like to note that the vehicle has front and side airbags, a tire pressure monitor (LOVE!) and 4 Wheel ABS.

During the 1 hour drive, I was told that the Avenger was awarded the IIHS Top Safety Pick Awards. This was important to me as a Mom. It told me that Dodge takes the manufacture of  its cars, as seriously as I take the safety of my children, so I have to commend them on that.

Of course, like anything, the Dodge Avenger was not perfect. I did not like the design of the windows.  I noticed that the windows were smaller and higher than expected when I sat inside.  This would make it hard for smaller children to look outside the window. As any mother will tell you, a bored child is a whiny child, which does not make for easy traveling. However, as a Mom of a tween and teen, this did not hamper my overall opinion of the car.

In the end, I enjoyed my driving experience in the Avenger.  I liked the look of the car. It was stylish, sleek, and sexy. The Avenger did not look like a family car, yet could be used as one. For that, I give it two thumbs up!

What do you think is important in a family car?

1 Lisa June 10, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Very nice and chic car. Suits you well.
    Lisa recently posted..Wordless Wednesday- Strolling Through The Walking Trail linky

2 Bicultural Mama June 11, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I love the line, “Now I can handle the big “S”. Yes, indeed, you can! Thanks for the review.
    Bicultural Mama recently posted..Race Check Box- Can’t Pick Just One

3 alissa apel June 11, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Red is a sexy color.
    alissa apel recently posted..Omaha Mayor Signs Flooding Emergency Declaration

4 K June 11, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Great review. You should have called me, I would have enjoyed the ride. (lol),

5 courtney June 17, 2011 at 10:34 am

i LOVE the look of this car.. I hate my eclipse.. not very baby friendly

6 Sassy June 18, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I thought the Avenger was by Dodge? Am I wrong? I rented one for a trip and loved it. It drove smoothly and was a great experience.

7 won June 18, 2011 at 9:13 pm

A tire pressure monitor? That is so smart.

The car looks so pretty! I can see what you wrote about with windows though…but only after you mentioned it.

8 Elba June 25, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Since I’m looking for a car, I looked at the video you posted. It looks like they took the time to listen to their customers and made some great updates. Since I don’t have young children, I wouldn’t have an issue with the windows. In fact, my kids would probably try to “borrow” it if I brought it!!!

9 Donna B. July 2, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Looks like a great car!

10 Stephenie D. August 5, 2011 at 8:18 am

I just bought the Avenger 2 months ago and I’ve already taken it on 2 road trips. I had the Commander (14- 20 mph) but needed better mph. I wasn’t happy about going to a car. I was in an accident in a car in 95 and had SUV’s from them til now. But I am very impressed with this car. It looks great inside and out. It’s stylish and practical for the family. I’m married but I think I have a crush on my car. lol And by the way the Avenger gets 25 mph city and 40+ on the highway.

11 Neha October 7, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Hi,
    I really liked your review. I planning to buy a 2012 DODGE AVENGER SE. But my height is just 5 ft 1″. A short women. Please tell me. will it be a problem in seeing the road or while driving?