It’s Sabroso Saturday (Translation: Tasty Saturday)! The day when we share recipes that have helped us stretch our budget, our imagination and our taste buds, without sacrificing our health.
I discovered this receta/recipe almost 10 years ago while looking through some old cookbooks. Over the years I’ve changed a few ingredients here and there to make it healthier. Since the healthy changes haven’t taken away any flavor from the meal, the boys love the combined flavors of the chicken, green plantain and cheese making it a family favorite.
I like the spin this recipe gives my weekly chicken meals. Its also very economical! The addition of the plaintain increases the price of this chicken meal by about a dollar, maybe less, depending on where I purchase them.
Best of all, the Cheesy Plantain Stuffed Chicken Breasts are cooked in such a way that it’s much healthier than using fried plaintains as a side dish!
Till next week, eat hearty, eat healthy and eat well!
Cheesy Plantain Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons of I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter
- 1 medium plaintain
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/4 cup of nuts ( I like sunflower seeds but you can use chopped pecans or any you like.)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 slices of cheese ( I use American but you can use any kind!)
- Heat oven to 375°. Spray a baking pan with PAM.
- With a knife, create a pocket in the chicken by cutting a slit in the side of each chicken breast. Set aside.
- In a skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter until sizzling. add sliced plantain. Not sure how to prepare a plantain? Follow steps 1-4 from the Baked Plantain Chips recipe.
- Cook plantain over medium heat till golden brown, flipping once. Remove from skillet and salt to taste.
- In the same skillet add the remaining butter and sunflower seeds. Cook over medium heat. Make sure you stir constantly. Remove after 1-2 minutes.
- Add sugar to sunflower seeds and stir.
- Stuff each chicken breast with 1/2 slice of cheese and cooked plantains. Top each with cilantro and remaining cheese. Close the chicken.
- Place stuffed chicken the greased baking pan. Spoon sunflower seeds on top.
- Cover pan and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Uncover pan and continue baking until chicken is no longer pink (app. 10 minutes)
Do you have a Sabroso Saturday recipe you would like to share? It’s easy!
If you are a blogger, you can share a sabroso/tasty recipe you have posted this week on your blog by adding a DIRECT link to it below.
If you do not blog but have a Latinalicious recipe that you would like to share, shoot me an e-mail at MsLatina (AT) latinaonamission.com with “Sabroso Saturday” in the Subject line. If I am able to make it at home and my family enjoys it, I will feature it!
Readers can view linked-up recipes by clicking on their names below.
Enjoy & have a healthy Sabroso Saturday!