Jan

Sabroso Saturday: Mini Tostadas with Guacamole and Shrimp

It’s Sabroso Saturday (Translation: Tasty Saturday)! The day when we share recipes that have helped us stretch our budget, our imagination and our taste buds, without sacrificing our health!

********************

With February just around the corner, I’ve been thinking about Valentine’s Day. Although I don’t have a mate right now, I love helping my friends plan their romantic rendezvous and what better way to romance a man then by feeding him first!

Because the day should be spent beautifying yourself, and NOT in the kitchen, I thought this recipe that is featured on the Gortons.com website for Mini Tostadas with Guacamole and Shrimp would be perfect.  They are extremely easy to make and can be done in about five minutes flat.

They’re the perfect finger food for you to create a romantic candlelight picnic.  Grab a bottle of wine, spread a blanket in your living room, bedroom, or, weather permitting, outside by the water, and feed this finger food to your Sweetie. They are super easy to make and to pack if you are traveling. I’m sure after eating these sabroso tostadas, your Sweetie will be wondering how he can snatch you up before someone else finds out about your skills!  ;)

Psst, they are also great for when the girls get together, as a quick meal with the family, or even for a large dinner gathering!

Interesting Tidbit: According to Wikipedia, eating avocados for 7 days can help lower ones cholesterol! Click here and scroll down to their “Nutritional value” section to read more.

Mini Tostadas with Guacamole and Shrimp

Mini Tostadas with Guacamole and Shrimp
4-6 Servings (12 mini tortillas)

Ingredients:

• 1 (8oz.) package Gorton’s Classic Grilled Shrimp
  • 4 ripe avocados
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice (or the juice of 1/2 lime)
  • 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
  • Salt to taste
  • 10-12 mini tortillas (about 3″diameter), toasted or round tortilla chips

Directions:

1. Prepare Gorton’s Classic Grilled Shrimp according to package instructions.
2. In a medium bowl gently mash avocado pulp with a fork.
3. Add lime juice, cilantro and salt. Fold gently.
4. To assemble tostadas, place mini tortillas on a serving platter and divide guacamole among all the tortillas.
5. Top each prepared tortilla with one prepared Gorton’s Classic Grilled Shrimp. Remove shrimp tail for easier eating.

According to the Gorton website, this recipe will also work well with Gorton’s Shrimp Poppers and Gorton’s Popcorn Shrimp.

Let me know what you think if you make them!

********************

Do you have a Sabroso Saturday recipe you would like to share?  It’s easy!

If you are a blogger,  you can share a sabroso/tasty recipe you have posted this week on your blog by adding a DIRECT  link to it below.

If you do not blog but have a Latinalicious recipe that you would like to share, shoot me an e-mail at MsLatina (AT) latinaonamission.com with “Sabroso Saturday” in the Subject line. If I am able to make it at home and my family enjoys it, I will feature it!

Readers can view linked-up recipes by clicking on their names below.

Enjoy & have a healthy Sabroso Saturday!

1 Run DMT January 29, 2011 at 6:59 am

What a great idea! So stinking simple and it sounds so tasty! I love shrimp and guacamole so the combination of the two is perfect for me. YUM!
    Run DMT recently posted..Greenwise Burgers are THE BOMB!

2 Carolyn G January 29, 2011 at 9:01 am

I love appetizers. I love guacamole! These will be perfect for my next party.
    Carolyn G recently posted..Franks Red Hot Party!

3 OfeliaNJ January 29, 2011 at 10:10 am

I like this! Using chips for easy appetizer instead of just chomping them out of the bag .. I even like when shrimp are served with the tail, because we can count to see how many each person ate. Otherwise guacamole, chips shrimp just seem to evaporate around me.
    OfeliaNJ recently posted..Here Today Gone Tomorrow – Wordless Wednesday

4 Joscelyn@MamiofMultiples.com January 29, 2011 at 10:44 am

I LOVE this recipe! Shrimp has always been one of my favorite seafoods and I love avocados. (Seriously, I will eat avocados inside a piece of bread). :)
    This recipe can be made anytime, including for party or get-together. Thanks for sharing!

5 Maura January 29, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Happy Sabroso Saturday! This week, in honor of National Slow-Cooking Month, I created a crockpot version of cochinita pibil served as panuchos Yucatecos. Very healthy – low in fat and sodium. And instead of frying the tortilla with refried black beans stuffed inside, I opted for a healthier choice: tostadas. These are great as appetizers or as a light meal. And, truth be told, I sometimes cheat and use canned refried beans (but first I drain all the oil from the can). Enjoy!
    Maura recently posted..Wordless Wednesday- Xochimilco

6 Noelle @Opera Singer in kitchen January 29, 2011 at 1:07 pm

What a yummy appetizer. Perfect for Super Bowl!
    Noelle @Opera Singer in kitchen recently posted..Zesty Orange and Dark Chocolate Scones

7 Brenda January 29, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Que ricas tostaditas!!!
    Brenda recently posted..THE RITE – Un Exorcismo Moderno

8 Mikethemovieguy January 29, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Those look sooooooooo good. Doesn’t help that I’m starving! LOL

9 rachel matos January 29, 2011 at 3:31 pm

i’m all about bite size recipes. love this.
    rachel matos recently posted..Mikey’s pizza

10 Carrie at TikiTikiBlog! January 29, 2011 at 6:24 pm

M, those are absolutely beautiful!

Happy Saturday!
    Carrie at TikiTikiBlog! recently posted..Latin Slow-Cooker Recipes Que Gusto!

11 Andrea January 29, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I don’t eat shrimp but I LOVE guacamole. :) I’m sorry I’m so late, but I’m lucky #13. YUM! (and eerie, but my math captcha asks me for some 13-related math!) Happy SS!
    Andrea recently posted..White Chicken Chili for Sabroso Saturday!

12 Yvette January 30, 2011 at 5:19 pm

I just posted a guacamole recipe here: http://muybuenocookbook.wordpress.com/2011/01/30/super-bowl-o-mole/
    We have TONS of exciting Super Bowl and Valentine’s Day recipes coming soon.
    Yvette recently posted..Super Bowl-O-Mole

13 Tamara B. January 30, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Such a wonderful recipe that I could make hubby on V-day! Thank-you!

14 Alissa January 31, 2011 at 9:37 am

Oh wow! Totally delish! I can always take time for fresh guacamole!

15 Yvette February 1, 2011 at 12:39 am

Check out our easy michelada drink — Its a MUST for Super Bowl Sunday!
    Yvette recently posted..It’s Michelada Time!