Oct

Sabroso Saturday: Chocolate French Toast

It’s Sabroso Saturday (Translation: Tasty Saturday)!  The day when we share recipes that have helped us stretch our budget, our imagination and our taste buds, without sacrificing our health!

********************
Chocolate French Toast

This week I am featuring an extra special treat – Chocolate French Toast!

During the week my boys eat quick and healthy breakfast meals before going to school (i.e., cereal, yogurt, oatmeal). On the weekends, I like to make their breakfast extra special. However, that does not mean I am willing to let go of my two prerequisites: quick and healthy.

My secret weapon, Chocolate French Toast, using a recipe I obtained from elige leche?

It quick and easy to make, doesn’t require much time and will make it seem as if you slaved over a stove while they slept. Even better, the main ingredient, low fat chocolate milk, gives the Chocolate French Toast an extra punch to make it stand out from other breakfast meals. I also love that it provides the 3 daily servings* of milk recommended by the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and provides three of the four “nutrients of concern” that children do not get enough of – calcium, potassium and vitamin D, as well as a healthy dose of vitamin B12!

Chocolate French Toast
Makes 4 servings of 2 slices each
Nutrition Information for the Chocolate French Toasts only
334 calories; 10.7 g fat; 3 g saturated fat; 14.7 g protein; 107 mg calcium

Ingredients:

• 8 slices of  whole wheat
  • 4 eggs or egg substitute equivalent
  • ½ cup low fat chocolate milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • ¼ cup sugar (optional)
  • Cooking spray

Directions:

1. In a bowl, beat eggs with a fork and add chocolate milk and vanilla.
  2. Heat skillet, over a medium flame. Coat skillet with cooking spray.
  3. One at a time, place white bread into mixture, let it soak well.
  4. Transfer bread slices into the skillet and cook until golden brown on both sides.
  5. Place Chocolate French Toast on a plate and sprinkle with sugar (optional).
  6. Serve Chocolate French Toast with a glass of low fat chocolate milk!

¡Buen provecho!

Chocolate Milk

You can obtain more recipes that use milk by going to elige leche?
Make sure you also follow them on Twitter and Facebook to get the latest deals, recipes and news!

Facebook: www.facebook.com/bigotedeleche
Twitter: www.twitter.com/BigotedeLeche

*Daily recommendations – 3 cups of low-fat or fat-free milk or equivalent milk products for those 9 years of age and older and 2 cups of low-fat and fat-free milk or equivalent milk products for children 2-8 years old.

********************

Do you have a Sabroso Saturday recipe you would like to share? It’s easy!

If you are a blogger, you can share any sabroso/tasty recipe you have posted this week on your blog by adding a DIRECT link to it below.

If you do not blog but have a Latinalicious recipe that you would like to share, shoot me an e-mail at MsLatina (AT) latinaonamission.com with “Sabroso Saturday” in the Subject line. If I am able to make it at home and my family enjoys it, I will feature it!

Readers can view linked-up recipes by clicking on the recipe names below.

Enjoy & have a healthy Sabroso Saturday!

Disclosure: This is a paid post created in collaboration with Milk Processors Education Program (MilkPEP). All opinions expressed herein are solely my own.

1 yolanda October 16, 2010 at 10:53 am

Que sabroso! My grandkids love chocolate and french toast. But, together, they’ll love me more! Gracias :)

2 Ofelia October 16, 2010 at 10:56 am

Ah, French Toast – I might even cheat by setting up mix in advance. Problem is, how to hide chocolate?
Ofelia recently posted..Traditional Mexican Atole with a Chocolate Twist – Sabroso Saturday

3 Mike October 16, 2010 at 11:01 am

Seriously?

Chocolate AND healthy?

I’m all over this tomorrow morning.

4 Carolyn G October 16, 2010 at 11:02 am

THis looks so good. Can I come over for breakfast?

5 Lisa October 16, 2010 at 11:15 am

My favorite breakfast is french toast so with chocolate, it’s even better. My kids would love this spiked up recipe!

6 Romina Mamá XXI October 16, 2010 at 12:05 pm

It is my favourite breakfast, too!! Gracias por esta original idea!!
Romina Mamá XXI recently posted..Sabroso Saturday Empanadas bilingual post

7 Mariana October 16, 2010 at 9:08 pm

I love french toast and this seems like a yummy twist on it!
Mariana recently posted..Chocolate Cookies &amp Cream Pie recipe

8 Joscelyn @ MamiofMultiples.com October 16, 2010 at 10:38 pm

I love french toast and chocolate so I”m eager to try this recipe with my family.
Joscelyn @ MamiofMultiples.com recently posted..Easy Recipe- Traditional Mexican Atole with a Chocolate Twist

9 JulieDiazAsper October 17, 2010 at 3:01 pm

I could use these right now!
JulieDiazAsper recently posted..Lava Cakes- Better than homemade recipe

10 Joscelyn @ MamiofMultiples.com October 17, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Love french toast and love chocolate…great breakfast treat for all the family.

11 Rachel October 19, 2010 at 11:22 am

Mmm French Toast & Chocolate!

12 Sabrina October 19, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Yummy, can’t wait to try this!

13 alissa apel October 19, 2010 at 4:57 pm

This sounds very yummy! I try and make good breakfast’s for weekends too. I like whole wheat banana waffles.

I also make my own concoction: 1 serving of plain oatmeal, flax seed, plain yogurt, frozen berries (thawed) and a sprinkle of granola on top. My five year old went to the breakfast table and said, “Mommy I love Fiber Plus Blueberry Cereal.” I was laughing. The things they come up with!
alissa apel recently posted..Food For Thought

14 Isolated Existence. October 20, 2010 at 5:19 am

Yum!! My son loves milk, I have to stop him from drinking it all. If I could have a cow I would, lol.

You sound like me on weekends. I tend to make a complete breakfast. Have to admit though I don’t make french toast as often as my son would like. He begs me for it, lol.

Btw, we have the same glass :-)
Isolated Existence. recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – Doodles

15 Linda October 21, 2010 at 12:07 am

I can’t wait til Saturday when I have time to make this. I’m craving it already! Thanks for the recipe!

16 Anna November 2, 2010 at 2:25 pm

YUm this looks delicious! def. something for me to try out this weekend!

New follower here – love your blog!