Aug

When Is 9 Ever Old Enough?

andrew

If you follow me on Facebook you already know Andrew, my 9 year old, was accepted into a gifted private school. As excited as I am about his acceptance, I have to tell you I’m scared.

Why?

My 9 year old will have to take public transportation by himself.

The school does not offer bus service in my area. There aren’t enough children on Manhattan’s Westside attending the school.  This leaves us with a dilemma.

How will he get to school?

Over the summer we researched and practiced his school route. He can take 2 city buses or 2 trains.

Both involve risks.

Both will force him to grow up much quicker than I would have wanted.

Until now, he has been sheltered. He was not allowed to go anywhere alone. I’ve also avoided areas that I believed were seedy or adult oriented. Now he will encounter those very things.

On his way to school.

By himself.

Everyday.

In the Village.

Amidst the crust punk scene.

As he goes, he will also take my heart.

On his way to school.

By himself.

Everyday.

In the Village.

Amidst the crust punk scene.

In the end, I couldn’t help but wonder…

When is 9 ever old enough?

1 Jaime August 30, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Wow! I can’t even imagine. I’ve asked the Lord to remind me of your Lil’ man so I can pray for his safety when he comes to mind. Rest in Him.

2 Ms. Latina August 30, 2010 at 11:48 pm

Thank you @Jaime for your prayers that means so much to me.

I know fear is not of Christ so I have to keep reminding myself that Andrew was given this opportunity for a reason. He won’t fail him. I stand on that!

3 Imperfect Momma August 31, 2010 at 11:11 am

Oh boy! I couldn’t imagine what you have to endure. I remember working in Manhattan seeing the kids walk to school by themselves and watching out for them. I think you should take peace in knowing that there are more people like that. And of course the most important one…God will be watching over him. :)

4 Kristi {at} Live and Love...Out Loud August 31, 2010 at 1:21 pm

I’m scared for him too. And how sad that he’ll be taking your heart with him. “By himself. Everyday. In the Village. Amidst the crust punk scene.” I’m sure he’ll be fine, but boy is this every mother’s worst nightmare! Good luck and keep us posted.

Kristi, Live and Love…Out Loud
    @TweetingMama

5 Sabrina August 31, 2010 at 2:53 pm

How exciting and sad. Congrats to Andrew for his acceptance. Gabby is 13 and still sheltered so I definitely feel your fear.

6 Victoria August 31, 2010 at 9:46 pm

He looks absolutely adorable in this picture. I think he’ll be ok! He has a great mom like you looking out for him.

7 Melissa September 1, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I feel for you. It seems like too soon to give your son those wings, but between his angels and his wits, I believe he’ll do great. I suggest you advise him to snap pictures should he feel threatened. This will give him another tool of protection. I’ll keep in my prayers.

8 Isolated Existence. September 2, 2010 at 3:50 am

I know exactly what you are going through and I’m still am even though my son just turned 18. Like your son he too has been sheltered.

I’ll keep your son in my prayers everyday as I pray for my son as well to get to school/home safely. Make sure he has telephone #’s in his backpack etc. That he knows his address/phone by heart if possible. Que Dios te lo bendiga…