Jul

Sabroso Saturday: Budget Friendly Meatballs

Today is the first ¡Sabroso! Saturday Link-Up.

The day when we share recipes that have helped us stretch our budget, our imagination and/or our taste buds. Recipes that have been tested and approved by YOU.

So link up and share those savory, satisfying, succulent, ¡Sabroso! recipes. Be sure to also visit the other participants!

Buen provecho!

********************

Budget Friendly Meatballs*
*Recipe
can be fried OR baked

• 1 lb ground beef, ground turkey OR ground chicken
  • 2 “butt” ends from a loaf of bread (aka the end pieces)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder or a minced clove of garlic

Note: Seasoning is done according to taste. You may add more or less salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder. Alternatively, you may also use a tablespoon of Goya Adobo All Purpose Seasoning with Pepper.I prefer the Goya brand but you can use any Adobo brand.

Frying Directions

1. In large bowl, mix meat and spices.
  2. Soak bread in water for 5-10 seconds. Squeeze excess water from bread and mix it into the seasoned meat.
  3. Shape meat into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter.
  4. In a skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add meatballs. Cook until brown on all sides.

Baking Directions

1. In large bowl, mix meat and spices.
  3. Shape meat into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter.
  4. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
  5. Bake meatballs in a covered pan for about 30 minutes or until they are no longer pink in the center.

Once cooked, you can serve alone, with a pasta dish, in a sandwich or with a salad. Personally, I like to double up the recipe and freeze some for future use.

Enjoy! ;)

********************

Enjoyed this post? Subscribe via email or feed!Have questions about something found within this post?Read my Disclosure Policy.

1 Ofelia July 24, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Just the inspiration I needed, to share this recipe before my daughter and I modify it. No telling if we’ll write down our changes!

2 Tracy @ Ascending Butterfly July 24, 2010 at 3:31 pm

A great idea, but I’ve never cooked from a recipe, I’ve always cooked ‘de vista’ and I don’t have the patience to write them out!

3 Chela July 24, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Great idea! I had to dig that recipe up because at this point, I just eyeball ingredients when I make it.

4 kcrojas July 24, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I definitely like the idea of freezing up some extra for future use! Sounds like a healthy meal starter :)

5 JulieDiazAsper July 24, 2010 at 8:01 pm

I think all Saturdays should be Sabroso. I can never diet on a Saturday. It feels wrong:) So love this idea.. When it gets less hot, I promise to cook not just do drink recipes :)

6 Monica July 24, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Super Simple Crock Pot Roast
    1-2 lb pot roast
    bottle of your favorite salad dressing

I use Reynold’s brand crockpot liners to make clean up easier.

Line crockpot with liner, put in thawed roast, pour entire bottle of salad dressing over roast. Cover with lid and cook on low for 6-7 hours.

Take out and enjoy with the sides of your choice!

7 Trish @IamSucceeding July 24, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Those sound good…and easy! Must try them soon! =)

8 Rachel July 24, 2010 at 9:05 pm

I am so excited to post my recipe here on Sabroso Saturdays! Please let me know what you guys think!!!

Thanks Ms Latina!
    Rachel

9 Rachel July 24, 2010 at 11:33 pm

OMGOSH, I love how you referred to the “butt ends” I thought I was the obnly one! LMNO!

Anywho, the meatballs sounds delish! With a little whole wheat pasta on the side,,,mmm,,,, I cannot wait to try it!

Mara and I LOVE making meat balls!

-Rachel

10 Sabrina July 26, 2010 at 10:23 am

Love the recipe sharing idea. Looking forward to trying the meatballs!

11 Divina July 27, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Sounds yummy! I love meatballs and pasta for dinner keeps the hungry men in my family satisfied.

12 vanessa April 7, 2011 at 5:21 pm

i find that using a scoop like for cookies works really well when making meat balls so taht they are all even.

I will definately be making these and the goya adobos are really the best.
    vanessa recently posted..Giveaway- find- Shappy Apple