Feb

Wordless Wednesday: Graffiti – Art or Vandalism?

Although I don’t condone the defacement of property, I have to admit some Graffiti Artists do amazing work. Many are often hired to create murals for storefronts, like the one shown below.

graffiti

I found this particular painting on a storefront in Manhattan, on the Westside,  but I can’t recall if it was by 23rd or 14th Street. I will have to walk by one day to post an update on the exact address.

How do you feel about graffiti? Is it art or vandalism?

Happy WW!

1 sunnymama February 17, 2010 at 9:36 am

Cool! Happy WW :)

2 Lizzie February 17, 2010 at 10:46 am

Well, if they aren’t commissioned it’s vandalism even IF they do a good job;)

3 Lonestarr February 17, 2010 at 11:02 am

Pretty vandalism I guess?

4 Tina February 17, 2010 at 11:13 am

Now that is a GREAT job…done by a person/people that obviously need to be in school some where and/or hired to do murals. I don’t understand why cities just don’t put out ads to hire them to do murals at the shelters, bus stations, etc. *sigh*

5 Melanie @ Whimsical Creations February 17, 2010 at 11:21 am

What a great job.

I guess it depends.

6 Mariana @ Riding w/No Hands February 17, 2010 at 11:50 am

Ultimately it’s vandalism, if it’s done on buildings without permission. I agree that sometimes it’s quite beautiful, though. These ‘artists’ just need the right outlet.

7 Adoption of Jane February 17, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Great Pic… that’s more Art then Vandalism, I love it!!!

8 Alicia February 17, 2010 at 2:23 pm

That is awesome!!

I think anything done w/out permission is vandalism. There used to be tons of graffiti on the freeways, and even though some of it looked pretty cool, it just made the walls look so gross.

9 Kristi February 17, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Great photo and beautiful artwork! I think it’s a little bit of both. Clearly, it’s illegal to damage someone else’s property but boy did this artist make his particular crime look good! What’s unbelievable is that these graffiti artists create their works in such a short time!
    I’ve got Mr. Linky up again so come on by and link up when you get a chance. See you soon!

Kristi

10 Elizabeth @ Table for Five February 17, 2010 at 3:00 pm

I think it’s art if the person was hired to do it. Otherwise, it’s vandalism.

11 CatSynth February 17, 2010 at 3:08 pm

That is a great mural – very stylized, it looks a bit like a “street” version of old icon paintings.

I think you know from previous WW’s I am fond of graffiti and street art. Most defacing of property is obviously wrong. Some is a bit ambiguous, I like some of the heavy layers of graffiti in abandoned industrial areas, under freeways, etc. I also have some fond memories of the old NYC subway cars in the late 1970s and early 1980s – though I do appreciate the newer cleaner ones when riding them.

12 Melinda February 17, 2010 at 3:44 pm

that is clearly art(if it was a commissioned piece) ! someone just tagging their name on a bus, mailbox or wall is vandalism regardless how talented they are.

13 Sabrina February 17, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Amazing talent however by law it’s considered vandalism.

So many skilled individuals walking the streets unnoticed. I guess this is an outlet of expressing such talent.

In my opinion, it’s still art….

14 jai February 17, 2010 at 9:19 pm

I’m going to have to agree with pretty vandalism. It’s definitely artwork and haven’t books been written on it and photo books published as well as catching grafitti at contemporary art galleries?

15 DG February 17, 2010 at 11:13 pm

that’s tough. I am going to say vandalism because it’s unwelcome art on a building owned by someone else. Still, at least this is some nice looking graffiti rather than misspellings and scribbles

16 Liza February 17, 2010 at 11:39 pm

That’s so cool!

17 Maria @ LSS February 17, 2010 at 11:44 pm

Wow, great job!

18 Modern Mom February 18, 2010 at 12:34 am

Great work of art. Happy WW.

19 Cafe au lait February 18, 2010 at 12:41 am

This is so cool!

I played too. Mine are here and here.

20 Simply Delicious February 18, 2010 at 12:43 am

Sometimes they really make a wall look nice. Happy WW.

21 Run DMT February 18, 2010 at 7:35 am

That is so beautiful! That’s grafitti I could live with! I would rather look at that than some gang’s markings. There are so many struggling artists out there and they need to mark their mark in the world somehow. I’m all for it! But then, it’s not my storefront.

Sorry for visiting so late! Thanks for stopping by for WW! :-)

22 113Tidbits February 21, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Had to get my Christian Louboutin site in on some of this wordless Wednesday luv. Have an awesome week!!

23 Tamara B. February 23, 2010 at 11:05 pm

I see it way of expressing themselves through art. Who ever does these are very talented. I look at as they are dressing up run down buildings.