Sep

Words My Teen Has Banned From My Vocabulary

I recently went shopping with my boys. I was super excited because you guessed it I LOVE SHOPPING! My boys on the otherhand are a different story and shun stores whenever possible. Normally, I love this since it lets me enjoy my favorite past-time without their tagging along. However, during back to school shopping, there is no getting around it so off we went to get it done.

Prince, my youngest, is easy. He is not yet old enough to care about styles or name brands.  In fact, if its clean and fits him, he’ll wear it. Big K is another story. He’s a teen. He has to have a certain “look“.

Now I think I’m a hip mom. In fact, I feel downright cool!  But today I learned just how wack  (remember that word?) I really am!

As we were shopping I mentioned a particular outfit was hot.

Big K turned to me at that point and said “Ewww ma! Don’t say that!”

Me: “What?”

Big K:  “That word HOT! You’re not allowed to say that. You’re a Mom!” (Cause that must mean I’m dead, right?)

Me: “Um OK what’s wrong with hot?”

Big K: “You sound like a GIRL!”

Me: “I am!”

Big K: “No, you sound like a girl my age! Ewww you can’t say that!”

At this point I’m thinking “What the heck? He gotta be kidding me!” Of course, he wasn’t!  He was absolutely serious and the pained look on his face made it perfectly clear that his Mom, the one his friends think is so cool, is far from it!Being the wise Latina that I am, I figured let me drop the topic so we could finish our shopping.

On our way home, Big K seemed pensive. It continued after we arrived home. I figured he was mulling over the new school semester and left him alone as I went about my duties. After putting my youngest to bed, Big K sent me an e-mail. Below is what he wrote.

Subject: Words you can’t say lol
Sent: Sep 8, 2009

Woop woop
Whooo wheee
Stylin
Fresh
Fly
Lickety split
Hot
Dead up
What the hay
My Bad
Bomb diggidy
Yo son whaddup
I love you SONNN

OK I gotta admit some of the words are pretty corny (I like getting on his nerves) but come on I’m cool! Aren’t I?!

1 Alicia September 8, 2009 at 2:17 am

Oh my gosh…that is hilarious that he sent you an email!!!!

LOL…my husband and I still say some of the things we did from back in the day, and some of the things I say are on your sons list!!! LOL!

2 Mami2Mommy September 8, 2009 at 7:31 am

I would like to add “dawg” and “dope” to that list! :) Ha ha. Your son is hilarious. Don’t stop saying those words or I’ll be left alone to use them.

Keep on HOT MAMA! lol

Jennifer

3 Ms. Latina September 8, 2009 at 8:43 am

@ Alicia: He said he sent the e-mail so I wouldn’t forget the words LOL

@ Mami2Mommy: Girl we’re two HOT MAMAS! In fact, we’re so hot we sizzle ;)

4 littleblackshop September 8, 2009 at 8:52 am

This is just too funny. Ok, it’s one thing to say hot, but come on, are you really gonna say lickety split? lol oh boy. I bet he thinks you were born at the age you are now.

My turn will come one day.

5 !Ms. Latina September 8, 2009 at 10:38 am

@ littleblackshop: Its funny because the first time I used “lickety split” was in an e-mail to @NYCityMama and it had me cracking up! Don’t know where I first heard it but now I can’t stop saying it! :)

6 WeaselMomma September 8, 2009 at 11:15 am

You are definitely not alone. My teens ban me from saying phrases all the time. What they don’t realize is many of those phrases I have been using since long before they came along.

7 Maria September 8, 2009 at 11:25 am

LOL! I love that he sent you that email! It’s a great sign he feels that he can tell you these things easily :) So you are doing something right!

I guess no matter how cool you are though, kids don’t want to see it that way? Geez I wonder how it’s going to be when I have kids. I have a habit of saying some of those things on your list too LOL (not Bomb diggidy or Lickety split though girl you crazy! :P)

8 Tamara September 8, 2009 at 11:36 am

That is so funny. Thanks for resending the link. How about “chop chop” to get him going in the morning. He did not have that on the list. Kids crack me up.

9 Nik September 8, 2009 at 11:45 am

Too Funny ;-)

10 Ms. Latina September 8, 2009 at 12:59 pm

@ Tamara: You are so right! I’m surprised he didn’t add that one to the list. Shhhh let’s keep it a secret ;)

@ Nik: Kids always keep us entertained don’t they? LOL

11 Lisa September 8, 2009 at 1:12 pm

That was too funny that he sent you an email. Never thought a kid his age would do that.

I guess you MUST stop using those words because like me, you’re a veijita..LOL

Kids are so funny.

12 jai September 8, 2009 at 7:00 pm

I love the fact that he wrote you a list through email! lol Those teen years is when they think that everything moms do is “corny”. I love calling people “cornballs”. I didn’t see that on his list, is that allowed? And I’m saying…if you’re talking to him you should be able to use the “Whaddup son” I mean he is your son!

13 Hil November 7, 2009 at 3:38 pm

LM*O!!!!!!!

And I am a frequent utterer of, “Bomb diggity dong” often, for which I am totally unappreciated by my right-in-the-throes-of-mom’s-the-uncoolest-person-in-the-universe stage teen boys…

14 Melinda December 4, 2009 at 10:57 am

I know I’m so late in responding to this but it’s too funny not to respond. Have you ever seen The Bomb Mom shirts, you soooo need to get one.

15 clenna December 7, 2009 at 11:13 am

I can so identify with you! My daughter banned certain words from my usage years ago. Now she has kids and they don’t want her to use them but love it when i say them (cause I say them wrong and they roll on the floor with laughter holding their sides – then tell me to say it again!) But then I look at my daughter and mouth WTF! Then she falls all over herself laughing. So am I cool or hopelessly uncool!!!
    (Funny thing is, at my age, I don’t care –lol)

16 Samantha January 9, 2010 at 12:24 am

This is absolutely hilarious! My daughter is not at that age yet, but I guess I have something to look forward to!

17 Sandra (hicksgirl93) January 11, 2010 at 9:29 pm

that was really cute! I say the kids just don’t know what “real” cool is, lol!

18 Kristi February 16, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Wow! I’m really glad I found this post. If you haven’t already done so, you could use those words as leverage during negotiations. You know, say it incessantly in front of his friends and tell him you’ll only stop if he does the dishes. lol

19 MARY March 26, 2010 at 8:46 am

I love this article… I was laughing while reading everything K was telling you. I have 2 young adults 22 and 19 and they never tell me anything when I used their phrases. Some of my favorites are; yaaaa watzup, damn that’s hot, your cool, you so gay, and some other ones they use with friends. Instead they come to me and tell me “mom no wonder my friends like you a lot and tell their other friends that I have a cool mom.

20 Tamara B. April 3, 2010 at 11:19 am

Ha ha, I have a 14 year old boy and a 13 yar old girl. Myson could care less what I say but my daughter always says “don’t say that” she thinks she is all that :)

21 Schmidty August 6, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I know that part of me would be a bit put off by my kid telling me what I can and cannot say, but you have to give him credit for speaking up for himself. He’ll go far and won’t buckle to bullies. :)

22 Shanna August 19, 2010 at 8:16 pm

LMAO!! That is TOO funny that he emailed you!!!
    I am guilty of saying some of those words too..
    Thanks for the laugh!!

23 Yakini August 27, 2010 at 7:54 pm

LMAOO!!!! Omg- this post is so hysterical!!!! No, not an email – I love this age we live in!

I am laughing so hard because I just know my day is coming when my boys “ban” me from certain slang too!!!!! lol I better enjoy it now while I can!

24 Thelma M August 28, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I would love to here my mom say: “Yo whaddup.” “Fresh” & “Bomb diggidy.” Ahhaa.
    But maybe just not in public. :D

25 OfeliaNJ February 13, 2011 at 3:39 pm

I just read this to my teen, and there are certain words / phrases on the list that she MIGHT allow me to say but never in public. Who knew?
    OfeliaNJ recently posted..Chicken Marsala – Sabroso Saturday

26 debi jackson March 7, 2011 at 7:52 am

This is hilarious. Kids often use terms they don’t know themselves. The latest is gooch (i don’t know the spelling) but it was a memorable moment.

27 Vida March 29, 2011 at 9:10 am

Yes, very hilarious!
    Vida recently posted..Thalia Kids’ Book Club- BIG NATE- meet the author – GIVEAWAY

28 Schmidty October 21, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I loved this story. You need to remind him of this when he has kids of his own …and compare the words they don’t want HIM to say! Hahaha! Kids are great!

29 Carolsue August 20, 2013 at 3:00 am

I was banned from using the word “my peeps” and “SMH” (shaking my head) on Facebook! LOL. I can still use LOL, I guess.